help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Dorothy Adlington Cadbury

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mossysal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Dorothy Adlington Cadbury Reply with quote

I am trying to find out where Dorothy lived and came across this snippet on an American research site (which wanted me to give my credit card details!)

Cadbury, Dorothy Adlington (1892–1987)

English botanist. Born Dorothy Adlington Cadbury, Oct 14, 1892, in Birmingham, England; died Aug 21, 1987; dau. of Barrow Cadbury (chair of Cadbury Bros, Ltd., 1922–32) and Geraldine Southall Cadbury (1865–1941); sister of Geraldine Mary "Cherry" Cadbury and Paul Cadbury.

Known for pondweeds expertise and for assembling roughly 400 collections of Potamogeton (British species and natural.....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Dorothy Reply with quote

Dorothy Adlington Cadbury : born 14th October, 1892 Staffordshire, died 21st August 1987. Birmingham district (death notice in The Times).
1901 census records her as living at 4 Arthur Road, Edgbaston, aged 8. Father : Barrow Cadbury (Cocoa and chocolate manufacturer, born Warwick). Mother Geraldine (35), brother Paul 5 and sister Geraldine aged six months.
1922 24th September recorded as arriving from New York in Liverpool on the Adriatic; passenger list records her as a Director and living at 64 Wheeleys Road, Birmingham. Travelled with her sister Geraldine (aged 21 and a student)
5 November 1950 arrived on the Queen Mary from New York in Southampton – passenger list records that she was 58, a Director and residing at 72 Wellington Road, Birmingham 15. Father Barrow – at the same address aged 88, recorded as a JP.
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ps Mother's maiden name Southall
Chris
chrisu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1911 Census; The family lived at Cropwood, Blackwell, nr Bromsgrove. Father Barrow Cadbury aged 48 (cocoa chocolate manufacturer, employer) mother Geraldine Southall Cadbury aged 45, Dorothy Adlington Cadbury aged 18 and sister Geraldine Mary Cadbury aged 10, both girls noted as attending school. All the family members are noted as being born in Edgbaston, Birmingham. They also record 5 domestic servants at the same address.

Last edited by chrisu on Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
chrisu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also just come across this
Barrow and Geraldine Cadbury had strong links with Blackwell, living in Rosemary Cottage and Cropwood, before finally donating both of them and surrounding land to Birmingham City Council for educational purposes.
chrisu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some more from outbound passenger lists;
10 Aug 1922 sailed from Liverpool on the Empress of Scotland bound for Quebec. Barrow Cadbury aged 59, manufacturer Geraldine S aged 57, Dorothy A aged 29 and Geraldine M aged 21 address 64 Wheeleys Road, Birmingham.
6 Oct 1950 sailed from Southampton on the Queen Mary bound for New York. Barrow Cadbury aged 88, retired and Dorothy Cadbury aged 57, Man.Dir. address 73 Wellington Road, Edgbaston, B’ham 15.
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wiki has now been added - compiled by Mossysal
http://herbariaunited.org/wiki/Dorothy_Adlington_Cadbury

Dorothy Adlington Cadbury (14/10/1892-21/8/1987)

name:Miss Dorothy Adlington Cadbury
dates:14/10/1892-21/8/1987
type:person
message board:message board discussion about this botanist
wikiView/edit additonal information about Dorothy Adlington Cadbury in the herb@home wiki.
David Price

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mother's maiden name Southall": perhaps daughter of Henry Southall (1836 - 1916) of Ross on Wye, Quaker, botanist, bryologist, meteorologist and public benefactor?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think so
father Alfred Southall - Chemist (b Edgbaston)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this is any use to anyone - but i believe this relates to the person your talking about ..

My Mum has the memoirs of Alfred Southall from Edgbaston who was married to Anna strangman Grubb. The private book is in very good condition and has the Original calling card of Barrow Cadbury obviously left inside (Cadbury chocolate people ) . Barrow Cadbury was married to Geraldine Southall . It has photographs that are tissue covered, a family tree at the back and day to day life including memoirs of visits of Barrow Cadbury .The book is a facinating account of his daily life - . The book was a private printing for family and tells of tales of a Charles Dickens private readings outing . Alfred Southall was the cousin of the famous quaker artist Joseph Southall who is mentioned in the book. Rowntrees are mentioned , Barrow Cadbury , Elisabeth Fry
The book has many chapters of every part of his life from family holidays to buisness life and noteable charactors in his life .
My mum is selling the private printed book - if this is of any interest to anyone please contact me [email protected]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Southalls Reply with quote

Hi, I'm a descendant of the Southall family, and recognise some of these places etc; she might not be a descendant of Henry Southall, but he and the rest of the Ross-on-Wye Southalls were closely connected to the Southalls of Edgbaston. Edgbaston Southalls included Joseph Southall, the famous artist, and were, as far as I understand, very closely connected to the Cadburys; both were old Quaker families.
David Price

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The history of the Grubb family is lengthy and is but briefly considered here in relation to Susanna Grubb and her flower paintings (Grubb 1972). The brother of Susanna, John Grubb (1818-1870), married Rebecca Strangman (d. 1907) of Waterford. Their son, Ernest Grubb (1843-1927), contributed to Praeger’s Irish Topographical Botany (1901); their daughter, Anna, married Alfred Southall (1838-1931), a manufacturing chemist of Birmingham. There were nine children of this union. The eldest daughter Geraldine Southall (1865-1941) married Barrow Cadbury (1862-1958), a cocoa and chocolate manufacturer of Birmingham. The Cadbury’s had three children Dorothy, Paul and Geraldine. The eldest, Dorothy Adlington Cadbury, published with J.G. Hawkes and R.C. Readett, a computer mapped flora of the county of Warwickshire (Cadbury et al., 1971), she was a Director of the firm Cadbury Bros., and was also a painter of flowers (Copson 1988)."
http://www.botanicgardens.ie/glasra/ns4_6.pdf
mike.e

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:09 pm    Post subject: Addresses of Dorothy A Cadbury Reply with quote

I have recently acquired a collection of 1/2" Bartholomews maps dated around 1938 packed in with which was a visiting card reading :
Miss Dorothy A. Cadbury
40 Edgbaston Park Road,
Birmingham 15
and carrying the hand written greeting :
"with best wishes from Dorothy"
hayley

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just signed up to the site (and now fascinated by it!) to add a bit more information here as I found this site while searching for Rosemary Cottage.

Dorothy and the rest of the Cadbury family spent most of their time in Edgbaston but Rosemary Cottage and later Cropwood House were also places she would have lived in her younger days. Rosemary Cottage was the weekend residence of the Cadbury family. I believe the son had problems with his chest so the family built Cropwood House just down the road, as a permanent countryside residence. They donated Cropwood and Rosemary Cottage in the 1920s, as chrisu said, they became an open-air school for the city's children.

Cropwood is now part of a special secondary school for boys with social emotional and mental health needs. Rosemary Cottage is a private residence again, but I have some older maps which refer to it as 'Blackwell Environmental Studies Centre' which I'm sure Dorothy would have approved of Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Botanists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: