help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Inula helenium (200705171038_3662)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keith barnett

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Feedback request: Inula helenium (200705171038_3662) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #263308

Taxon:Asteraceae: Inula helenium L. ("Elecampane")
Filed in taxon folder:Asteraceae: Inula helenium L. ("Elecampane")
Collected by:Henry Haselfoot >Henry Haselfoot Haines<
Collection date:8/1917
Locality:Great Britain, VC9 Dorset, Lulworth, SY88
Institution:Aberystwyth University Herbarium (ABS)
Image:Inula helenium herbarium specimen from Lulworth, VC9 Dorset in 1917 by Henry Haselfoot Haines.

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by alex lockton following initial work by keith barnett on 28th July 2008.

Edit history

dateuserchange
03/04/2009alex locktonDeleted note: no collector named
03/04/2009alex locktonDeleted locality: [illegible]
03/04/2009alex locktonAdded locality: GB VC9 Lulworth [illegible]
03/04/2009alex locktonAdded collector: Henry Haselfoot >Henry Haselfoot Haines<

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

keith barnett wrote
I see this location occasionally, any ideas? Isleworth with an old/odd spelling ? Why would >I see this location occasionally, any ideas? Isleworth with an old/odd spelling ? Why would Haines' name be there, since I'm told by you that this isn't his writing?<' name be there, since I'm told by you that this isn't his writing?

David Price

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lulworth
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Haines or not Haines Reply with quote

The attribution of the '>The attribution of the 'Haines sheets' is indeed somewhat polemical. The specimens listed at H@H range from 1881 through to 1944. According to the information in the H@H database, HHH's dates are 1867 -1945, and that from "1888 to 1919 he was Conservator of Forests for India , so it is unlikely that he could have collected in Britain during this period."
That was why I sent some jpgs of the writing to Richard Gornall to ask if the writing matched with that on sheets in the Leicester collections. He said that it did not.
There is one interesting Haines specimen that has completely different handwriting - namely <
sheets' is indeed somewhat polemical. The specimens listed at H@H range from 1881 through to 1944. According to the information in the H@H database, HHH's dates are 1867 -1945, and that from "1888 to 1919 he was Conservator of Forests for India , so it is unlikely that he could have collected in Britain during this period."
That was why I sent some jpgs of the writing to Richard Gornall to ask if the writing matched with that on sheets in the Leicester collections. He said that it did not.
There is one interesting >The attribution of the 'Haines sheets' is indeed somewhat polemical. The specimens listed at H@H range from 1881 through to 1944. According to the information in the H@H database, HHH's dates are 1867 -1945, and that from "1888 to 1919 he was Conservator of Forests for India , so it is unlikely that he could have collected in Britain during this period."
There is one interesting Haines specimen that has completely different handwriting - namely <
specimen that has completely different handwriting - namely http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/234869/ ; on this specimen the details and the name are in the same script.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: