help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Carex viridula subsp. viridula (13288)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwrand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Carex viridula subsp. viridula (13288) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #263997

Taxon:Cyperaceae: Carex viridula subsp. viridula ("Small-fruited Yellow-sedge")
Filed in taxon folder:Cyperaceae: Carex viridula subsp. viridula ("Small-fruited Yellow-sedge")
Collected by:Mr Frederick Townsend
Collection date:7/6/1873
Locality:Great Britain, VC11 South Hampshire, Sowley Pond, SZ369968, sheet reads "Sowley Road", but Townsend's record in the Flora of Hants 1st edn., 1883 gives "Margins of Sowley Pond".
ex herb:Dr Robert Large Baker
exchanged:London Botanical Exchange Club
Institution:University of Birmingham (BIRM)
Image:Carex viridula subsp. viridula herbarium specimen from Sowley Pond, VC11 South Hampshire in 1873 by Mr Frederick Townsend.
Filing note:Carex serotina

Documented by mwrand following initial work by keith barnett on 9th August 2008.

Checked by CLL

Edit history

dateuserchange
11/08/2008mwrandAdded collector: Mr Frederick Townsend
12/08/2008tom humphreyDeleted locality: GB VC11,VC12 New Forest, Sowley Road
12/08/2008tom humphreyAdded locality: GB VC11 Sowley Pond, sheet reads "Sowley Road", but Townsend's record in the Flora of Hants 1st edn., 1883 gives "Margins of Sowley Pond". SZ369968 (place)precision 500m
26/05/2009CLLDeleted locality: GB VC11 Sowley Pond, sheet reads "Sowley Road", but Townsend's record in the Flora of Hants 1st edn., 1883 gives "Margins of Sowley Pond". SZ369968 (place)precision 500m
26/05/2009CLLAdded locality: GB VC11 Sowley Pond, sheet reads "Sowley Road", but Townsend's record in the Flora of Hants 1st edn., 1883 gives "Margins of Sowley Pond". SZ369968 (place)
11/06/2012chrisuDeleted note: 'presented by Hayes or Bloxham'
11/06/2012chrisuAdded provenance: exherb Dr Robert Large Baker

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

mwrand wrote
This is a specimen that supports Townsend's record in the Flora of Hants 1st edn., 1883, the first for VC11. The record there gives "Margins of Sowley Pond" and I wonder if "Sowley Road" on the sheet is a mistranscription.

Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road past the pond is Sowley Lane (this version of the name also persists consistently on old maps ref (43700,96400) from the period) but that might perhaps also be Sowley Road?

Comparing the maps the area seems to have changed remarkably little since 1868.

OS Grid reference SZ369968

(the OS Map is causing a pop-up error to appear in some web browsers - I'm investigating this - but everything still works if you just ignore the message if it appears)
mwrand

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know the road has never been known as Sowley Road. The pond is a hammer pond serving an ironworks whose remains can still be seen in the garden of Sowley House, and the side facing the road would never, I think, have had an exposed draw-down zone - the road is in effect the dam. Townsend is quite explicit about the habitat in which the plant grew, which matches its known present day occurrences. I think it more likely it was found at the pond margins away from the road.
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking again about this earlier today and had concluded that your view that it was just a mistranscription was correct (and that my speculation was off track) - so I'm glad to read your follow-up message. I think it's probably best to change the entry to cite the pond as the location.

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: