help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Lithospermum officinale (200705151025_9127)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hughes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Lithospermum officinale (200705151025_9127 Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #270653

Taxon:Boraginaceae: Lithospermum officinale L. ("Common Gromwell")
Filed in taxon folder:Boraginaceae: Lithospermum officinale L. ("Common Gromwell")
Collected by:Dr Robert Coane Roberts Jordan
Collection date:9/1879
Locality:Great Britain, VC3 South Devon, Hopes Nose, SX96
ex herb:Dr Robert Coane Roberts Jordan
Institution:Aberystwyth University Herbarium (ABS)
Image:Lithospermum officinale herbarium specimen from Hopes Nose, VC3 South Devon in 1879 by Dr Robert Coane Roberts Jordan.
fruits/flowers:mature flowers
notes:There must be a query on the collector, as the initials don't seem to be an exact match with those on other sheets collected by Dr. Jordan but I agree that he is the likeliest suspect.

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by john hughes on 5th February 2009.

Edit history

dateuserchange
05/03/2010john hughesAdded note: There must be a query on the collector, as the initials don't seem to be an exact match with those on other sheets collected by Dr. Jordan but I agree that he is the likeliest suspect.
05/03/2010john hughesAdded collector: Dr Robert Coane Roberts Jordan
05/03/2010john hughesAdded provenance: exherb Dr Robert Coane Roberts Jordan

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

john hughes wrote
Can anyone help with the collector, please? William Moyle Rogers has a good fit with time and place but the handwriting isn't an entirely 100% match.

oldnick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think R C R Jordan; however the initials look more like C R J (his father I think) who collected much earlier, but I would definitely say herb R C R J, and presumably collector too. Location usual for the Jordan family's July holidays.
John Hughes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H@H never sleeps! You post a query and get a helpful reply a year later. Many thanks for this. I agree Dr. RCR Jordan is the likeliest suspect but, having spent a happy half hour comparing the initials on this sheet with those on sheets definitely collected by him, I'm not 100% convinced so have put it in with a query. I don't think it was Charles James Rufus, one of three Jordan brothers. Many thanks to Chris Liffen for details on the Jordan dynasty, which he posted on 20/02/2010 at 10.17am.

Best wishes,

John
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect this is not an RCRJ sheet. It's from Aberystwyth's collection, where most of the RCRJ specimens are from Birmingham University. To me, the initials don't look like a match.

There are many similar sheets from ABS which have remained unattributed, so I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: