" xml:lang="en" lang="en" dir="ltr">
Rev. James Dalton (1764-1843)
Rev. James Dalton, F.L.S., (1764 - 1843); third son of Captain John Dalton, (the defender of Trichinopoly, 1752-53), and Isabella, daughter of Sir John Wray, 12th Bt. of Glentworth, Lincs. Born at York on 14th November 1764; B.A. Clare Hall, Cambridge, 1787; M.A., 1790; ordained Deacon 1787; Priest 1788 ; Vicar of Copgrove, 1789 ; of Catterick, 1791 ; Rector of Croft, 1805. Married 1794, Maria, daughter of Rev. Edmund Gibson, Vicar of Bishop Stortford (grandson of Edmund Gibson, Bishop of London). Died 2nd January, 1843; buried at Croft.
The Dalton collection of British plants (1827) represents a large portion of the botanical work done by the Rev. James Dalton during the years 1780 to 1820. The collection (see Historical account of the herbarium of the Yorkshire Philosophical Society) includes many of the Rev. James Dalton's specimens from 1790 to 1835 ; also specimens collected by his grandson, the Rev. James Dalton ( - 1862). The specimens collected by the Rev. James Dalton, F.L.S., are marked " Rev. James Dalton," and those collected or contributed by his grandson "Rev. James Dalton, Junr."
Rev. James Dalton discovered Scheuchzeria palustris L. in Leckby (or Lakeby) Carr in 1787.
Search for specimens collected by James Dalton.