help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Updated version of the doc. form, -- please help test it!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> News and announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Updated version of the doc. form, -- please help test it! Reply with quote

Hi,

I've just uploaded a new version of the documentation form. Although the visible changes are fairly inconspicuous there have been more substantial internal changes, so it would be a great help if you could try the new version and report any problems before I switch over to it as standard.

The new version (v. 005k) is accessible from herbariaunited.org/atHomeAlpha.

broadly the visible changes are:

• The browser window remembers its position and size between sheets.
  • Tweaks to improve the behaviour of the drop down lists, both cosmetic changes and better display of collector information.
  • Images now resize when the browser window size changes.
  • The shaded block on the sheet navigation panel (the small image at the right) is now drag-able.
  • From the thumbnail view you can pick how many sheets to allocate in a batch (up to 10 at a time).
  • 'Bubble' help text stays hidden for unlogged in users once turned off.
  • The summary text for specimens now includes details for all the fields and is better formatted.
  • Preliminary (though very limited) support for countries other than Britain and Ireland has been added - accessible from the 'more countries' menu choice.

Edited 20/5
  • Added links to wiki collector information where available
  • Correction of collector name mismatch bug reported here.

Please let me know if anything doesn't work. I don't anticipate any major problems, but on past experience there could be some problems, which would be better rectified before being inflicted on everyone!

regards,

Tom

[email protected]
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

23rd May version 005n
  • no longer opens extra blank collector fields automatically (only 2% of records have more than one collector). [suggested here]
  • additional search links shown next to placename and taxon fields when typing an unrecognized entry. (placename links to Google, Ordnance survey and multi-map and taxon links to IPNI and uBio)
  • misc minor bug fixes
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st June (version 005t)

• Minimisation of less used fields: the form can now include additional possible fields as icons at the top-right of the form. This could be useful for infrequently used fields. At present I've added a 'TYPE' field this way (it had only been displayed for a small subset of Manchester records previously). Using the minimized fields should be seen as optional - e.g. there's no need to mark everything that's not a type specimen etc.
  • User defined tags - this I hope this could be quite an interesting improvement. It lets you assign arbitrary keywords or attributes to a specimen. This is intentionally left open ended so that you are free to use this to note whatever additional info you wish, in a semi structured way. Ultimately tags will be searchable. I'll post more about this once the new version is released.
  • more miscellaneous bug fixes
  • cosmetic layout changes
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> News and announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum