help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Epipactis atrorubens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Price

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Epipactis atrorubens Reply with quote

There is a specimen of E atrorubens at BIRM for Linton Wood Vc 36 collected 1887 by Rev A Ley, det J B Phipps (no photograph of specimen unfortunately, and no edit facility).
It is highly unlikely that this taxon occured in a lowland wood, or in Vc 36 (other records of E atrorubens by Ley and other respected botanists from this general area have been discounted by Riddlesdell et al.).
No information is provided about Dr Phipps but his name appears on labels dated 1954. The two early 19th century records attributed to him must have been made in error.
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going back to do more photography at BIRM next week, so I'll make sure the E. atrorubens sheet gets photographed, so that you'll then be able to check and edit it.

The BIRM sheets without images were documented prior to the start of the herb@home work. The eventual aim is to attach images to all these, and to allow the records to be edited where necessary. I've got quite a lot of images for already documented sheets that I'm gradually attaching to these specimens.

I've corrected the dates on the erroneous 19th century Phipps sheets, thank you for posting about that (for one of the two there was confusion with a sheet serial number that looked like a date).

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: