help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Carex otrubae (E00716258)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Feedback request: Carex otrubae (E00716258) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #401303

Taxon:Cyperaceae: Carex otrubae Podp. ("False Fox-sedge")
Filed in taxon folder:Cyperaceae: Carex otrubae Podp. ("False Fox-sedge")
Collected by:Rev. Harry Baber
Collection date:6/1838
Locality:Great Britain, VC29 Cambridgeshire, Stretham, TL57
Institution:Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (E)
Accession number:E00716258
Image:Carex otrubae herbarium specimen from Stretham, VC29 Cambridgeshire in 1838 by Rev. Harry Baber.
collector's number:1424
fruits/flowers:mature flowers

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by johned on 11th November 2015.

Edit history

dateuserchange
16/02/2016xmhcmanDeleted collector: Rev Harry Baber
16/02/2016xmhcmanAdded collector: Rev. Harry Baber

Specimen #401306

Taxon:Cyperaceae: Carex otrubae Podp. ("False Fox-sedge")
Filed in taxon folder:Cyperaceae: Carex otrubae Podp. ("False Fox-sedge")
Collected by:Rev. William Allport Leighton
Locality:Great Britain, VC40 Shropshire, Shrewsbury, SJ51, Canal.
Institution:Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh (E)
Accession number:E00716258
fruits/flowers:mature flowers

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by johned on 11th November 2015.

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

johned wrote
As Baber was born in 1817 he would have been only eleven years of age in 1838, which makes me doubt whether "6/38" is actually the date of collection.

David Price

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to 3rd Annual Report and Procs of Bot Soc Edin, Rev H Baber, Cambridge, joined the Society on 9 Jan 1840. He was keeper of printed books at the BM and rector of Stretham.
johned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Baber Reply with quote

My mistake - I am not normally mathematically challenged. Off day?
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might interest :

http://www.baberfamilytree.org/Balmer/harrybaberfamily.htm
nickbalmer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Harry Baber Reply with quote

Hello,

I was fascinated to receive an email from John Edmondson about this specimen. I am Harry Baber's great great grandson.

I was aware that there were botanical specimens collected by him at Edinburgh because a few years ago I was contacted by curators working for the Cambridge University Botanical Gardens who were undertaking a project to study the records of plants located in Cambridgeshire since the 16th Century by tracing the records held by the University.

However this is the first time that I have seen one.

There is obviously some confusion over who he was. Harry Baber who was born in St Georges Bloomsbury London on the 18th of March 1817, was the son of the Revd Henry Hervey Baber. Henry was the Keeper of the Printed Books at the British Library which in those days formed part of the British Museum.

They lived in a flat in the earlier museum building that was located on the site of the current courtyard to the British Museum. In 1827 Henry Baber was given the living of Stretham which is in the Fens between Cambridge and Ely. He may not have spent much time there before he eventually retired from his post at the Library in 1836. Amongst his duties at the Library he was responsible for running the Museums botanical collection. He employed a Mr Planta to do the day to day duties.

I don't think botany was his main focus, and apart from a trip to Munich in 1825 to buy 10,000 papers and books in German on botany from Baron Von Moll, I cannot find any evidence of other botanic activity. If anybody knows more I would love to learn about it.

Harry must have spent most of his childhood in and around Russell Square. He was educated at Westminster School; matriculating at Michaelmas 1834.He was admitted to Trinity College Cambridge on the 13th of June 1834. He became a Scholar in 1835, and a Bachelor of Arts in 1839 and an MA in 1842.

Whilst at Cambridge it is clear that Harry spent a considerable amount of time botanising. It is not clear if this was part of his studies, as I believe he was studying theology, or a spare time occupation. Records exist in the diaries of Charles Babington and J S Henslow, which record some of his trips and finds.

Chenopodium rubrum Stretham, H.Baber (Hb CC Babington), Oct.1838, CGE..
Lamium purpureum Grantchester, H Baber, 6.1837, CGE.
Lythrum hyssopifolia L. Stretham, H Baber, 9.1837, E.
Myosotis ramosissima Pit beyond Observatory, as M.collina flore albo., [var mittenii Baber added in pencil], H Baber, 6.1837, CGE.
Mentha x gentilis var cardiaca (Baber), Marshy field by Finch¹s Walk, Cambridge,.
Rorippa amph. Stretham, H Baber, 7.1838, CGE;
near Ely, H Baber, n.d. (but Babington label), CGE;
Trifolium subterraneum Gamlingay, Prof Henslow, H Baber (in pencil), Hb Churchill Babington, 1836, CGE.
Sparganium emersum Stretham-fen, as S.simplex, H Baber, 8.1837, CGE.
Veronica agrestis Stretham, H Baber, 30.9.1837, CGE.
Veronica polita Stretham, H Baber, 30.1837, CGE.
Lycopodium clavatum Stretham, H Baber, 9.1837, E.
Minuartia Went with Baber to Madingley...We noticed...Arenaria tenuifolia just come up, in the gravel pit near to the Observatory. 29.5.1837 Bab.Mem.62.
Muscari neglectum Hinton, H Baber, 5,1859, BM.
Oenanthe
Oenan pimpinelloides Wilburton, H Baber, Hb JA Power, 7.1838, 'I call this pseudanifolia, Poll. CE Salmon', & pimpinelloides crossed out. RTE.
Potamogeton compressus Stretham fen, H Baber, 6.1839, det. Dandy & Taylor, UCNW.
Potamogeton gramineus Stretham, H Baber, 1837, det. Dandy & Taylor, CLE.
Pulsatilla vulgaris Gogmagog Hills, H. Baber, May 1837, BM.Cambridgeshire, H Baber, Hb JA Power, 5.1838, RTE.
Gogmagog Hills, H Baber, 1839. ex Hb. F Tansom [?spelling.], YRK:6.
Gogmagog Hills, H Baber, Hb JA Power, 1839, RTE.
Gogmagog Hills, Mr H.Baber in Hb Mrs Atkins, 1839, BM.
Taraxacum palustre Ely, H. Baber, 1839, BM.

He became a curate to the Rev William Kirby at Barham in Suffolk. Kirby was the pioneering Lepidoptrist who first applied the Linnean system to the identification of American bugs. Apparently this was all done by post and without going to the USA. Barham is very close to Henslow's Suffolk parish, and I know that Kirby corresponded with Henry Baber, as well as paying visits to Stretham not long before Harry became his curate.

So Harry Baber had access to some of the very best botanical resources available in the World at the time, as well as contacts amongst the botanical clergy and professors at Cambridge.

I had until know presumed that the plants Harry had collected at Edinburgh came from Scotland, but this record clearly shows that he was sending specimens from Stretham to Edinburgh. I am wondering who his contact was in Edinburgh? Was the botanic collection already an old one?

Can somebody point me towards a good book on the history of the Edinburgh collection at that time?

Harry does not appear to have continued to botanise after about 1845, and this may be because he took up a post at Whitelands Ladies College in Chelsea where is energies went into training young ladies to become schoolteachers, which was a fairly radical idea at the time. He received a lot of patronage from Lady Angela Burdett Coutts, and later worked with Charles Dickens to protect B Coutts from attacks in the press, which she felt she couldn't reply to directly. His main interest switched to architecture and he was responsible for designing the college buildings as well as restoring Ramsbury Church in Wiltshire when he became Rural Dean after retiring from Whitelands.

I would be fascinated to learn if any other plants collected by Harry survive in other collections.

Nick Balmer
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proceedings of the Botanical Soc (Edin) Vol 2
snippet
election of members
nickbalmer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information about Harry Baber having become a member of the Edinburgh Botanical Society. He certainly appears to have been have had some fairly distinguished fellow joiners on that day.
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - an interesting collection of people
http://www.quekett.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: