help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Google

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Price

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Google Reply with quote

Idly Googling the name of a local village (which I use as my User Name) I was surprised to find entries detailing my user history at H@H.

I take no exception as these details are publically available on the H@H website, but I am curious as to the mechanism that enables these entries.
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find this of interest
http://www.googleguide.com/google_works.html
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Google Reply with quote

So I've been googlebotted! Thankyou Chris. That link has answered a lot of questions I haven't yet asked. Do I also assume that many H@H contributors are computing enthusiasts as well as being botanists?

David
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rate at which Google indexes (and re-checks) pages is staggering. The screen shot below shows the stats that google reports for the website - google is downloading up to 30 000 pages a day and on average 6 pages/min!

In general this is a very positive thing - it means that pages from the website often appear among search results, which helps to publicize the project and to make data available. To a considerable extent the specimen records are searchable via google (quite a lot of our specimens are also beginning to appear on GoogleEarth).

To facilitate google's indexing I provide them with a sitemap file - a list of all the pages I want indexed (ordered by priority), in general though Google finds pages primarily by following links from other pages.

David Price

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou, Tom

I find my powers of comprehension ever more challenged when confronted with information like that. Enough to say I am very impressed with the speed, quality and versatility of the H@H system.

Sometimes I see obvious errors in transcription from the original labels which require correction. When I edit a sheet, is it advisable always to post a feedback request?

David
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sometimes I see obvious errors in transcription from the original labels which require correction. When I edit a sheet, is it advisable always to post a feedback request?

I think in general there's no need to post messages about corrections - but equally it's not a problem and can be interesting and helpful to other users.

It is definitely worth posting messages about any recurring mistakes or misconceptions, also for new users of the system it's reassuring to get feedback on the first few sheets they work on. Where there are problems resulting from faults with the software then please highlight these, so that I can attempt to fix or work around them.

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: