help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Veronica chamaedrys (200705151658_0719)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex lockton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Veronica chamaedrys (200705151658_0719) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #242498

Taxon:Scrophulariaceae: Veronica chamaedrys L. ("Germander Speedwell")
Filed in taxon folder:Scrophulariaceae: Veronica chamaedrys L. ("Germander Speedwell")
Collected by:G W J
Collection date:9/1961
Locality:Great Britain, VC41 Glamorganshire, Swansea, SS69
Institution:Aberystwyth University Herbarium (ABS)
Image:Veronica chamaedrys herbarium specimen from Swansea, VC41 Glamorganshire in 1961 by G W J.

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by alex lockton on 27th December 2007.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

alex lockton wrote
It would be very useful to have an index of collectors' initials.

Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: collectors' initials Reply with quote

There is a tsv file which can be downloaded - go to collectors and click on show all,then ask for a search and it displays a list of names. At the bottom of the list (that is generated) is an option to download a tsv file (which can be opened in Excel). This could be used to create a list of initials - but perhaps one already exists ??? There is also a good selection of handwriting examples.
Chris
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had a look at the file, after taking out names of institutions etc there are about 3000 names! which make it somewhat cumbersome to use.
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Thanks v. much for filtering the collector list:

List of collector initials:

I'll try to put together a live (dynamically updated) version of this.
alex lockton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seemed to me that, as quite a number of sheets only have the initials of the collectors on them, it would be helpful to be able to search the index of collectors by initials as well as by name. I don't know how easy that would be to do in this system.

As a vague afterthought, we will eventually need enhanced methods for editing and correcting the list of collectors.

Alex
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

to some extent collectors are already searchable by initials, but only if the initials are separated by spaces or punctuation. e.g. searching for W H P gives a drop-down list as follows:

W H Pearsall
W H Pearson
Rev. William Hunt Painter
Rev. William Henry Purchas
Mr Herbert William Pugsley
Prof William Harold Pearson

as a user with admin access you can currently edit collector names etc. (if any other regular contributers to the site want access to edit collectors etc. then please let me know by email and I'd be happy to enable accounts on an individual basis).

From a collector's info page (e.g. from the collector search page, or any links from a collector page), such as W H Painter click 'Edit this entry'.

There are also options from the collector search page to merge duplicate collector names (but please proceed with a bit of caution when doing this, as although de-merging mistakes is possible it's currently slightly fiddly). Name merging is also applied to any future uses of a merged synonym.

Names can also be split, e.g. a single entry of 'Henry and James Groves' can be divided into the two separate entries, but similar caveats apply to this operation currently.

Let me know if there is other functionality needed (or if there are more complicated one-off edits that can mostly easily be done with direct access to the database)

regards,

Tom
alex lockton

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic, Tom. I should have known you would have already addressed this. I'll have a look at the editing function for collectors.

Alex Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: