help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Senecio squalidus (200705171141_4142)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qgroom

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Senecio squalidus (200705171141_4142) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #250377

Taxon:Asteraceae: Senecio aquaticus Hill ("Marsh Ragwort")
named by Quentin Groom 1/2/2008
Other name:Asteraceae: Senecio squalidus L. ("Oxford Ragwort")
Filed in taxon folder:Asteraceae: Senecio squalidus L. ("Oxford Ragwort")
Collected by:M D Ryley
Collection date:22/7/1959
Locality:Great Britain, VC70 Cumberland, Derwent Water, NY22, Dry marginal
Institution:Aberystwyth University Herbarium (ABS)
Image:Senecio aquaticus herbarium specimen from Derwent Water, VC70 Cumberland in 1959 by M D Ryley.

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by qgroom on 1st February 2008.

Edit history

dateuserchange
06/12/2009tom humphreyDeleted determination (orig): Senecio squalidus
06/12/2009tom humphreyAdded determination (orig): Senecio squalidus
06/12/2009tom humphreyAdded determination (orig): Senecio aquaticus on 1/2/2008
06/12/2009tom humphreyAdded determiner: Q Groom

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

qgroom wrote
This is Senecio aquaticus not S. squalidus

oldnick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Having myself messaged a couple of such mis-identifications, how does this get picked up for editing I wonder?
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

If you spot sheets that are mis-identified then please make any corrections that are needed. Each sheet in the database has at least two names assigned to it:

a default name - corresponding to the folder that the sheet was filed in (or the currently accepted equivalent of). This copy of the name is not user-editable (though in cases where whole folders have been mis-listed I can correct it).

the displayed name - which is editable using the documentation form and is displayed on specimen records.

By reconciling the two copies of the names it is possible to generate a list of sheets which have been renamed. In general this will be usable as a list of those specimens which need to be refiled. For this to work well please make any corrections to taxon names which are needed - as that is the simplest way to flag up sheets.

The reason I also request that people post message board comments about misidentifications is to make the task of spotting the problem sheets easier (and where relevant to provide additional explanatory info). It also serves as a approximate way of tracking how much of a problem misidentification may be.

I very rarely respond directly to message board posts about misidentifications - primarily as I don't feel qualified to do so, but please be assured that such posts won't be ignored - the information posted will be made available to whoever has the daunting task of checking and refiling problem sheets.

Something which I can act on immediately are cases where whole folders have been mislisted or where sheets are listed under an archaic name which needs updating - this is best addressed directly in the database rather than separately editing each sheet affected.

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: