help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Related specimens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Related specimens Reply with quote

I believe that this specimen
http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/333425/
is related to this specimen
http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/333448/
How should this be indicated on the specimen that I'm editing?
oldnick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, these 2 are definitely related, and were presumably were intended to be stored as a pair - veg. plus inflorescence. I notice in the case of Salix, herbaria put both, from different dates, on the same sheet. I believe there's been a plea for all these Rubus pairs to be cross-referenced, presumably by techno means. This seems to happen in fact in some cases - when searching specimens that have been entered, a message refers to similar collections - but this only works when both sheets have date/place. The way you can cross-reference, that I know of, is with a message as you have done, in the 'notes' or 'user comments' box - very hit-and-miss though. I think another suggestion is to record the original herbarium serial number of every specimen marked Sheet 1 or 2, for later cross-referencing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: