help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Otanthus maritimus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Price

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Otanthus maritimus Reply with quote

There are 42 specimens filed under Otanthus maritimus, the currently accepted name for this taxon.

There are a further 14 specimens filed under Achillea maritima, the former name.

Could a "mass edit" please be carried out?
John Hewitt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Editing /updating specimen names on. A warning about editing Reply with quote

Please be aware that for contributing herbaria I think I would be right in saying that the only way they can readily and quickly match their own specimens against website images is under their own original filing names (however ancient they may be). If you remove the original locally used (filed) name the data is then unsortable (e.g.for preparing databases of specimens or updating local collections to more recent nomenclature).
Am I not correct in thinking that either the original sheet names must be retained (? in the 'filed under' box) on the HerbariaUnited website or the full name edit history must be available therein.
Without this the main usefulness of the whole Herbarium@home project
to local collections (herbaria) will I believe be lost.
I speak as a complete novice to data handling, and from the viewpoint of the SLBI herbarium, but I think this matter urgently needs the attention of the project oversight committee- and before any suggestion of 'mass editing or the like is implenmented ! John Hewitt (SLBI Herbarium).
David Price

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is somewhat unexpected and reveals my ignorance.

It poses the question of how any edits or corrections are communicated to the holding Institution.
oldnick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it's OK to add in a corrected 'preferred' name (particularly in accordance with a 'det' on the sheet) as long as the 'h@h name' of the taxon is retained in its top box...?
dawn nelson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: names Reply with quote

I think the only logical way to file the specimens is by the latest accepted name ( as most are at present). If one goes by the original on the sheet, which may have been re-determinned and often renamed, one would need to trawl for hours to get all on a particular taxon. If you know what you are looking for you can look up the latest accepted name, and get all listings easily on both here and the Big Database.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: