help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

K specimens with H@H taxon more detailed than labels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OHebrides2

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: K specimens with H@H taxon more detailed than labels Reply with quote

Two recent K specimens from my watch list have more detailed taxon names than their labels:
Plantago major ssp major vs Plantago major
Plantago lanceolata var sphaerocephala vs Plantago lanceolata

Both look OK, but there is no det label or info on how they got these segregate names. I'm guessing they're in the requisite folders at K. Possibly the folders are annotated? But how would this information get stored with the specimen? Or am I reduced to visiting K to see for myself (which rather loses some of the benefits of H@H).

Any help appreciated! Thanks,

paul
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul,

The names that Kew have assigned are likely to reflect the folders the sheets are filed in, but unfortunately I don't have information about who determined the specimens.

The process with the Kew specimens is atypical as they do the photography and send a taxon list, whereas for most sets of sheets from other herbaria, I assign the initial names based on the filing folder (and an image of the folder cover is available to check back to if there are queries).

If there are particular anomalies with any of the Kew specimens then I should think it would be possible to ask them directly about particular specimens (or I'd by happy to forward enquiries).

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: