help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

End of free access to OS Getamap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: End of free access to OS Getamap Reply with quote

My first choice for finding grid references of localities was the Getamap service from OS which, if you ignored the login, allowed access to 1:25,000 scale mapping and had an efficient search engine. Since July this has been available on subscription only and the free OS application www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps which replaced it is far from satisfactory. The search box usually delivers a random locality bearing no resemblance to the one you have entered! True, once the place has been found you can display a point grid reference by clicking on the crosshairs, but I prefer to use a gridded map which allows some scope for different levels of precision. Any suggestions on how to work round this problem?

Occasionally when entering Irish localities, something pops up which gives access to Irish OS online maps but I haven't yet worked out how to go there unaided. Again, any suggestions?
David Price

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use www.streetmap.co.uk and http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,578432,756724,0,10
oldnick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find Streetmap very convenient and fast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: