help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Converting Long & lat into an OS grid ref?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heather

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Converting Long & lat into an OS grid ref? Reply with quote

Hello
I've just tried to complete my first herbarium sheet and there is no OS grid reference, place name or Vice County. There is a longitude / latitude co-ordinate of 52*N, 18*W. Can anyone suggest a web site where this can be converted into an OS grid ref? I using tried Street map because it does have a radio button labelled Long / Lat but I couldn't work out the format required to enter these two figures. Can any one enlighten me?
Thank you
Heather Garrett
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Welcome to herb@home. I'm really puzzled by this, as I've yet to see a UK herbarium sheet that gives a latitude/longitude based geo-reference. (also 52N 18W is way out in the Atlantic off the west coast of Ireland - so seems an improbable location).

If you could complete as much as possible on the sheet then save it I'd be happy to have a look (I can't access your sheets while they are allocated to you).

I think you may have been very unlucky to get a very awkward sheet as your first Sad

I'm currently working on allowing lat/long type references to be used on the documentation form, along with various other improvements to geo-referencing - but those changes won't be ready for a few days.

regards,
Tom

[email protected]
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen your sheet now...

the reference is meaningless - there is no land at 52N 18W!

regards,

Tom.
Heather

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Longitude & latitude Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad its an unusual occurence. Just my luck! Its a shame that the botanist went to the trouble of collecting a voucher specimen but labelled it so poorly.
I'm very impressed by your speedy responses - thank you!
Heather Garrett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: