help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Donor Unknown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Price

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Donor Unknown Reply with quote

Some sheets have the provenance 'Donor Unknown'. I have started to record it as an ex herb name as it it is sometimes associated with G S West and with M M Atwood and collectors who contributed to her herbarium. 'Donor Unknown' may be what it says, or due to a curatorial muddle, or have an as yet unrecognised significance.

Would others please record it likewise?
mossysal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I have just edited a sheet I did yesterday with Donor unknown. For some reason it doesn't show up on a search for such sheets, or on my list of sheets done, although it shows on the edit history.
http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/292570
S
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah,

The 'Donor Unknown' sheets should be searchable (the 'name' was added to the drop-down list yesterday). It may be that your German sheet was not appearing in the search results, which by default show GB and IE sheets only. It does appear here:

http://herbariaunited.org/specimensearch/?taxon=&taxonid=&collector=Donor+Unknown&colid=17316&role=prov&from=&to=&search=search&Country=all&VC=all&place=&placeid=&Inst=all&search=search#searchlist

For compactness, the list of sheets done only shows collector, not ex herb entries so although the sheet appears on the list it's not immediately obvious that it's the 'donor unknown' one.

regards,

Tom
David Price

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Tom. That's really useful & nicely illustrates the point I was making. Fallopia dumetorum ex herb Watson http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/262418/?image hints at a connection with Atwood (the printed label in top LH corner); we know they were correspondents and she was an enthusiast of Polygonaceae. Lets hope there are more thought provoking Donor Unknowns to come.
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Help and support All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: