help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

C I Sandwith

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldnick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: C I Sandwith Reply with quote

Led by the menu, I have been entering 'C I Sandwith' as Mrs Cecil Ivry Sandwith. Only on recently editing a sheet collected by 'Cecil Sandwith' did I realise that there must of course be a Mr Cecil Ivry Sandwith. So I am now wondering whether from herbarium labels the two may more consistently be distinguished, for instance is there a difference in their dates; and which is actually the more prolific collector
Roger Horton

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the husband was called Edward Pitcairn Sandwith (1865-?). Cecil Ivry Sandwith (1871-1961) was the mother of Noel Ivry Sandwith (1901-1965). More details of the family seem to be available in foreign versions of Wikipedia than in the UK one! Presumably her name was pronounced Se-seel. Edward was born in India and attended Westminster School 1879-1881 but the rest of his life is obscure.
oldnick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kew Archives Research Guide: '2/ Plant Collecting notebooks of Cecil Ivry Sandwith (1871-1961) - Uncatalogued.
She collected plants in Chilanga District, Northern Rhodesia. Her papers consist of 3 notebooks, the first is a notebook on the vegetation of Sharpham Plot, Glastonbury (1928-1929) the second and third notebooks are notes on grasses collected in South Africa and Rhodesia'.
Bristol Museum & Art Gallery: 'This collection contains 2703 specimens of vascular plants, which were collected between 1909 and 1965, by Mrs Cecil Ivry Sandwith (1871 – 1961) and Noel Yvri Sandwith (1901 – 1965). The Sandwiths collected ‘alien’ plants and contributed greatly to the knowledge of the flora of Bristol; the Bristol Naturalists Society published many of their records. The plants in the collection were mainly collected from the Bristol area (v.c. 6 and v.c. 34), particularly from Avonmouth Docks and Ashton Gate Tip. The specimens are vouchers for the records contained their publication on alien plants ‘The Adventive flora of the port of Bristol’ on Report of the Botanical Exchange Club 1932'.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Botanists All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: