help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Fumaria parviflora (5699)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkopp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Feedback request: Fumaria parviflora (5699) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #323837

Taxon:Fumariaceae: Fumaria parviflora Lam. ("Fine-leaved Fumitory")
Filed in taxon folder:Fumariaceae: Fumaria parviflora Lam. ("Fine-leaved Fumitory")
Collection date:3/1863
Locality:Great Britain, VC33 East Gloucestershire, Naunton, SP12
ex herb:Mr Frederick Townsend
Institution:South London Botanical Institute (SLBI)
Image:Fumaria parviflora herbarium specimen from Naunton, VC33 East Gloucestershire in 1863.
fruits/flowers:mature flowers
notes:Based on thankfully received suggestions from David Price and oldnick, provisionally assigning this to the ambiguous "Renton".

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by kkopp on 31st August 2011.

Edit history

dateuserchange
31/08/2011kkoppAdded note: Based on thankfully received suggestions from David Price and oldnick, provisionally assigning this to the ambiguous "Renton".
31/08/2011kkoppDeleted locality:
31/08/2011kkoppAdded locality: GB AMBIGUOUS Renton
03/09/2011kkoppDeleted locality: GB AMBIGUOUS Renton
03/09/2011kkoppAdded locality: GB VC33 Naunton

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

kkopp wrote
Menton? Shenton? Henton? And is this the locale or the collector? Your help is, as always, appreciated...k

oldnick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult; maybe Renton; Dumbartonshire NS385785; or Berwickshire - however no other H@H sheets from either;
However, I did find one specimen (also Herb Townsend) from East Reston, Berwickshire http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/316566/ - but 37 years later! I haven't wrestled with handwriting issues
David Price

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/316638/ - same date, same place; and as the Thlaspi is such an uncommon plant it should not be too hard to work out the locality.
kkopp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Renton? Reply with quote

Fascinating. Based on David Price's suggestion based on a specimen collected same month/year by Townsend, I searched all the 259 Thlaspi specimens for their locales and did come across a couple of likely suspects, especially the tantalizing "Kenton" in Dover. Looking at the 122 Fumaria parviflora specimens I likewise came across one or two others, but nothing truly plausible.

Based on the handwriting alone on the two Townsend samples (http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/316638/ and http://herbariaunited.org/sheet/83643/) I think the only supportable resolution is the database's "Renton (Ambiguous locality)". Clearly the Thlaspi specimen is Renton (though assigned to "Newtown" by the prodigious Daniel King) and I cannot see the other not being the same although harder to read.

Thanks, and regards,

k
David Price

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The point about Thlaspi perfoliatum is that, as a native, it is broadly confined to the north Cotswolds. (There is no Renton there - not that I can find a Newton, either). So by that logic there is a place that perfectly fits the bill - Naunton (near Slaughter, where Rev E F Witts rediscovered Thlaspi perfoliatum in 1835).

Naunton SP1123
kkopp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I get that - and thanks for the explanation - but Naunton does not seem to me to be compatible with either of the handwritten renderings, especially from the Thlaspi specimen itself...
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

execrable handwriting !

kkopp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Naunton Reply with quote

WELL, there it is, then! Brilliant. Thanks, all...k
oldnick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I would now say all 4 of these 'Naunton' specimens are from Menton / Mentone on the French Riviera, see: http://herbariaunited.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10030
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: