help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

T Drummond

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qgroom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: T Drummond Reply with quote

There are a group of specimens signed Tom Drummond.

There are two possible Tom Drummonds from Kent & Allen. Firstly, Thomas Drummond (1790-1835) and Tom Drummond (1872-1896). However, the specimens date from 1875 to 1885. Therefore the specimens are too late for Thomas Drummond and too early for Tom Drummond.

The handwritting specimen for Tom Drummond must be wrong because he would have only been 3 years old when it was written.

I conclude that there must be a third Tom Drummond. They are common names in Scotland.

Does anyone know anything more on this subject?

Can we create a third entry for Tom Drummond and move the handwritting specimen to him?
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the dates given for 'Tom Drummond' by Kent & Allen are floreat rather than birth and death, so the specimens might be feasibly attributed to him. (there are too many T Drummond entries though so this does need correction anyway and I'm happy to accept that there could be further Drummonds not accounted for by K&A)

regards,

Tom
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the T Drummonds were BIRM specimens without images attached yet, I've added the image to the Carex rariflora specimen, which had an incorrect date recorded and matches the sample 'Tom Drummond' handwriting. The other BIRM specimen image hasn't been uploaded yet (it will have been photographed).
qgroom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had not appreciated until now what the floreat date meant. So it now makes sense to me that there are only two Tom Drummonds.

Furthermore, I've found another example of Tom Dummond's handwriting (see: http://www.br.fgov.be/RESEARCH/COLLECTIONS/HERBARIUM/detail.php?ID=349139). This specimen is from Texas, which makes me think that the Tom Drummond we have is the one who collected in America (1793-1835). The handwriting is exactly the same as the H@H specimens, but this Tom Drummond died before the H@H specimens were made. There are some American Drummond specimens on Kew's website, but although the handwriting is similar, I'm not sure it is the same (http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000117589).
qgroom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specimen MANCH.350922.kk803 should probably be from Tom Drummond rather than Tom Beammond
qgroom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also MANCH.199081
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: