help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Saxifraga rosacea (5427)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Hughes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Saxifraga rosacea (5427) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #273535

Taxon:Saxifragaceae: Saxifraga rosacea Moench ("Irish Saxifrage")
named by Herbert William Pugsley

long note by Pugsley re ID

Filed in taxon folder:Saxifragaceae: Saxifraga rosacea Moench ("Irish Saxifrage")
Collected by:Mr Allan Octavian Hume
Collection date:26/6/1905
Locality:Great Britain, VC49 Caernarvonshire, Twll Du, SH638588, rocks about and below Devil's Kitchen, Lake Idwal
communicated:The South London Botanical Institute
ex herb:Mr Herbert William Pugsley
Mr Harold Stuart Thompson
Institution:University of Birmingham (BIRM)
Image:Saxifraga rosacea herbarium specimen from Twll Du, VC49 Caernarvonshire in 1905 by Mr Allan Octavian Hume.
fruits/flowers:mature flowers

Documented by keith barnett following initial work by john hughes on 8th April 2009.

Checked by mossysal

Edit history

dateuserchange
12/04/2009keith barnettDeleted locality: GB VC49 Twll Du SH638588 (place)
12/04/2009keith barnettAdded locality: GB VC49 Lake Idwal, rocks about and below Devil's Kitchen, Lake Idwal SH638588 (place)
12/04/2009keith barnettAdded provenance: exherb Mr Herbert William Pugsley
09/01/2010mossysalDeleted locality: GB VC49 Lake Idwal, rocks about and below Devil's Kitchen, Lake Idwal SH638588 (place)
09/01/2010mossysalAdded locality: GB VC49 Twll Du, rocks about and below Devil's Kitchen, Lake Idwal SH638588 (place)
09/01/2010mossysalAdded determiner: Mr Herbert William Pugsley
09/01/2010mossysalAdded determiner's note: John William Haines

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

john hughes wrote
This needs a better botanist than me, because if it is Sax.rosacea, it has not been seen in North Wales since 1978.Was it formerly known as S.decipiens as in Pugsley's note? To take seven complete plants of this rare taxon shows that the Victorian fern collectors were from alone in their depradations.

mossysal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very interesting topic!
The specimens were collected as the relatively common ?S. hypnoides and later detted as S sponhemica by Pugsley (and IPNI/CTW (1952) put S. sponhemica = S. hypnoides). Stace (1997) says: "Certain examples of S hypnoides in N. Wales sugest past hybridisation with S. rosacea (=S. decipiens, CTW). So maybe this is one of them. I'm wondering who detted this specimen as S rosacea? It is hard to see the leaf tips online.
(BTW, CTW says S rosacea extinct in Caerns by 1952)
David Price

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D.A.Webb regarded S. sponhemica as a ssp of S. rosacea.
mossysal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I accept what you say, isn't the point what Hume and Pugsley thought it was? And Pugsley clearly thought ("the rarer") S. decipiens and S. spohemica were different taxa. And reading Webb in Watsonia in 1951 it seems he was not sure even then about S. rosacea subsp sponhemica.

I would still be very interested to know who detted the specimen for digitising? How does the system work, and shouldn't the det. be somehow credited in the record as for any other herbarium sheet?
David Price

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the French should have a say: they call S. rosacea "Saxifrage Trompeuse".
David Price

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last remark was perhaps too flippant; after all, trompeuse is merely a translation of decipiens. My point about Webb's nomenclature was that it would lead to this plant being labelled 'S. rosacea' in the absence of any further critical examination.
mossysal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I see the logic now, thank you. But I still feel that Pugsley was effectively saying, it isn't A, it's A! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: