help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

The D Douglases of Edinburgh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike d'Apice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: The D Douglases of Edinburgh Reply with quote

Three of the database suggestions for Douglas seem to be the same chap:
1) Handwritten labels with 'D Douglas' in full and with writing matching (to my eye) (2)'s, collected at the same time from the same area;
2) D Douglas where the specimen has a herbarium slip with D Douglas printed on and initialled DD;
3) There don't seem to be any specimens recorded against "David Douglas (1844-83)" or info about him other than the reference "Kent DH & Allen DE. 1984. British and Irish Herbaria. London." A reference I can't find on line.
(4) I can't trigger it to appear now but, was, certain had seen a 4th option, simply "Douglas".... so probably dreamt it!

The Dictionary of Botanists doesn't record any D Douglases for the 1870s ( Their only one is David Douglas (December 30, 1799 – 1834) of Douglas Pine.)

Should not 1 to 3 be merged as a single entry?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a D Douglas, who was a publisher in Edinburgh of the Annals of Scottish Natural History - late C19th.
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: