help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Scutellaria galericulata (K001015510)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterwiggins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Feedback request: Scutellaria galericulata (K001015510) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #375348

Taxon:Lamiaceae: Scutellaria galericulata L. ("Skullcap")
Filed in taxon folder:Lamiaceae: Scutellaria galericulata L. ("Skullcap")
Collected by:Rev. Harry Joseph Riddelsdell
Collection date:1/8/1924
Locality:Great Britain, VC33 East Gloucestershire, Bledington, SP22
Institution:Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew (K)
Accession number:K001015510
Image:
© Kew
Scutellaria galericulata herbarium specimen from Bledington, VC33 East Gloucestershire in 1924 by Rev. Harry Joseph Riddelsdell.
fruits/flowers:mature flowers

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by peterwiggins on 26th June 2014.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

peterwiggins wrote
Help with the place. I think the VC is a typo and should be 23. He was there a few days before but a fortnight later was in VC33 but there's no Bledington

Roger Horton

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bledington is (just) in E Gloucestershire, VC33, OS SP2422, but <1km from Oxfordshire VC23.
peterwiggins

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Bledington Reply with quote

Thanks, the autofill came up with Oxfordshire VC23 hence the confusion. I should have checked. Can the autofill database be amended/
David Price

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Golden Rule is "the Collector is always right." Additionally, in this case, Riddelsdell was one of the authors of 'Flora of Gloucestershire' so is most unlikely to have made an error.

Hypothetically a collector may have written "Bledington Vc 23" which I would interpret as being close to Bledington but actually over the County boundary in Oxfordshire.
peterwiggins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the sheet and the details he gave were right. The only thing that was wrong was the autofill from the web page. Can this be changed so that someone else doesn't trip up?
Thanks
Roger Horton

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were two sheets documented early in the project (274014 and 292585) both described something like 'VC23 Oxfordshire, Bledington, SP2520, R. Evenlode Nr Foxholes S. of Bledington'. I think Bledington was entered in the 'Locality' box along with SP2520. I have edited these entries so that they have Locality Foxholes, and I have edited the base locality for Bledington to SP2422 and E Gloucestershire. (The 1km square SP2422 also has its problems as although most of it is in E Gloucestershire, the SE and SW corners are in Oxfordshire!) The remaining four Bledington sheets in the database are all clearly labeled VC33 and/or E Glos. so there should be no problem with those. I think this solves the problem with the drop-down menu.
peterwiggins

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, my it's complicated meshing an old VC system with modern maps and IT!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: