help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Festuca rubra (26939)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldnick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Festuca rubra (26939) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #285304

Taxon:Poaceae: Festuca rubra L. ("Red Fescue")
named by James B Phipps 1961
Filed in taxon folder:Poaceae: Festuca rubra L. ("Red Fescue")
Collected by:Alexander Goodman More
Collection date:6/1858
Locality:Great Britain, VC10 Isle of Wight, Saint Helen's, SZ68, spit
ex herb:Rev. Augustin Ley
Prof Charles Cardale Babington
Institution:University of Birmingham (BIRM)
Image:Festuca rubra herbarium specimen from Saint Helen's, VC10 Isle of Wight in 1858 by Alexander Goodman More.

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by hallucigenia on 30th December 2009.

Checked by mossysal

Edit history

dateuserchange
06/03/2010mossysalDeleted locality: GB VC10 Saint Helen's Spit
06/03/2010mossysalAdded locality: GB VC10 Saint Helen's, spit
06/03/2010mossysalDeleted attribute flowerField: none
09/04/2010oldnickDeleted collector: Rev. Augustin Ley
09/04/2010oldnickAdded collector: Alexander Goodman More
09/04/2010oldnickAdded provenance: exherb Prof Charles Cardale Babington

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

oldnick wrote
Is this handwriting Ley's? Could it be C C Babington's? I am trying to decide the collector on another IoW sheet, May 1858, http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/294950/?image
where the handwriting could be either Babington's, or Ley's, or almost anyone's; and the striking thing is the lack of 1858 collections from IoW for any comparison!

oldnick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now realise the collector is A G More, whose name appears on the label faintly in pencil. I feel the label was written by Babington, who sent an IoW specimen of Luzula x borreri to West, http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/294950/
with identical handwriting to More's.
I have found to my surprise only 4 specimens (inc this one & the L x borreri) from the IoW that year. The 2 others were collected by A G More, many of whose collections in those years came from there. I decided all 4 were collected by him.
More's handwriting is exemplified on a collection of Vulpia myuros http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/231314/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: