help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Solidago virgaurea (30338)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Solidago virgaurea (30338) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #298952

Taxon:Solidago virgaurea var. cambrica (Huds.) Sm.
Filed in taxon folder:Solidago virgaurea var. cambrica (Huds.) Sm.
Collected by:Rev. Augustin Ley
Collection date:5/9/1902
Locality:Great Britain, VC36 Herefordshire, Ross, Caplar Quarry, SO588323, Caplar Quarry N[ear]'
Dis 2
ex herb:Rev. Augustin Ley
Institution:University of Birmingham (BIRM)
Image:Solidago virgaurea var. cambrica herbarium specimen from Ross, Caplar Quarry, VC36 Herefordshire in 1902 by Rev. Augustin Ley.
fruits/flowers:mature flowers

Documented by hallucigenia on 22nd May 2010.

Edit history

dateuserchange
23/05/2010hallucigeniaDeleted locality: GB VC36 Ross, Caplar Quarry N[ear]'
Dis 2
23/05/2010hallucigeniaAdded locality: GB VC36 Ross, Caplar Quarry, Caplar Quarry N[ear]'
Dis 2 SO588323 (place)

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

hallucigenia wrote
N.B. The year is somewhat vague, however the next sheet [same species] is dated 8/9/1902 [same place] so I have taken it to be the same year.
http://static.herbariumathome.org/sheets/BIRM/30040.jpg

mossysal

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with the date. However, do you think that Caplar Woods
OS Grid reference SO588323
would be a better description of the location?
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sarah
I would not argue that you are wrong, but I feel this could open a can of worms in that how far we do or should go in changing the collectors description of the collecting site.
After all they were on the ground at the time, and whilst I agree that if something is plainly a mistake then by all means change it [with a comment below] , but where do we draw the line?
Ley also appeared positive in stating Quarry even when rewriting the label he did not take the opportunity to change the site.
I would be intrepid too hear others comments as I think it is an interesting topic.
Chris
mossysal

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't suggested changing anything - he mentions Caplar and I have just given the grid ref of the quarry. Maybe that doesn't show up on your map? I did wonder about calling it Caplar Quarry but that is so small that using the existing name on the database seems preferable although it is on the other (west) side of the river!

Also it is some 10km away from Ross which is why I questioned it! Very Happy
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a little snippet for you taken from Hereford, Herefordshire, and the Wye (1880) by Chapman, D. R; Watkins, Alfred. Not only does it mention Caplar, quarries, woods etc but also Kings Caple

Regards
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: