help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Inula conyzae (30805)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Inula conyzae (30805) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #300913

Taxon:Asteraceae: Inula conyzae (Griess.) Meikle ("Ploughman's-spikenard")
Filed in taxon folder:Asteraceae: Inula conyzae (Griess.) Meikle ("Ploughman's-spikenard")
Collected by:Mr Isaiah Waterloo Nicholson Keys
Collection date:1851
Locality:Great Britain, VC3 South Devon, Plymouth, SX45, Stoke Damerel
ex herb:John Gilbert Baker
Prof George Stephen West
Institution:University of Birmingham (BIRM)
Image:Inula conyzae herbarium specimen from Plymouth, VC3 South Devon in 1851 by Mr Isaiah Waterloo Nicholson Keys.
fruits/flowers:mature flowers

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by hallucigenia on 11th June 2010.

Edit history

dateuserchange
13/06/2010hallucigeniaDeleted locality:
13/06/2010hallucigeniaAdded locality: GB VC3 Plymouth, Stoke Damerel,
13/06/2010hallucigeniaDeleted collector: J W N (J W N)
13/06/2010hallucigeniaAdded collector: Mr Isaiah Waterloo Nicholson Keys

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

hallucigenia wrote
I think the date is 1851 but it could be 1857. also the place name is very faint [Sark?], and collector ideas?

David Price

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoke Damerel, Plymouth, Devon
I W N Keys
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.
I collected a specimen the other day which I cannot trace;
80-100cm tall flower spike, no leaves at base or on stem, two dozen or so greenish flowers on a fairly loose spike on the top 10-15cm, the flowers have six equally spaced petals pointed at the tip, it could I suppose be a parasite, it is in the press at the moment but I intend to find another and photograph it.
C Question
David Price

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds interesting. Why do you think it may be a parasite? What is its habitat? Is it a monocot? It sounds as if it could be an Ornithogalum - have a look at O. pyrenaicum http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/276615/?image or try Quentin Groom's key http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/flora/
D
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David
Parasite bit of a wild guess because it has no leaves of any sort, and lots of dead wood/ fungus here, but I see looking again in my books that it could be O.pyenaicum although the picture [B+W] shows lanceolate leaves, but lasting but not long lasting, I know of a large area of them in a lane so I will go and look tomorrow and examine the leaves [if any] closely.
There is a very odd plant that grows by the river in very wet places never more then 4-5 cm high deep blue / purple no leaves in very large dense clumps often under water in winter floods, we intend to try and find it [not hard] next time we visit Prayssac.
Lots of varied Orchards in flower now, it helps that this is a plant conservation area and the verges are cut very late and only one cut wide.
Chris
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were right it is O.pyenaicum I photographed the large clump and carefully went over the ground by the stem bases but no leaves or remains of such, as a double check I will study the seed pods when formed.
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: