help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Inula erithmoides (30791)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldnick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Feedback request: Inula erithmoides (30791) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #305583

Taxon:Asteraceae: Inula erithmoides
Filed in taxon folder:Asteraceae: Inula erithmoides
Locality:Croatia, Rijeka, Fiume [former name] in rupibus aestate [banks in summer]
ex herb:Friedrich Wilhelm Noe
Institution:University of Birmingham (BIRM)
Image:Inula erithmoides herbarium specimen from Rijeka.

Documented by oldnick on 11th August 2010.

Edit history

dateuserchange
14/08/2010oldnickDeleted locality: HR Rijeka, Fiume [former name] in rupibus acflate [?]
14/08/2010oldnickAdded locality: HR Rijeka, Fiume [former name] in rupibus aestate [banks in summer]
14/08/2010oldnickDeleted provenance: exherb Noe
14/08/2010oldnickAdded provenance: exherb Friedrich Wilhelm Noe

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

oldnick wrote
Noe - see http://herbariaunited.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4320 unfortunately he has not yet made it onto the 'menu'

Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://herbariaunited.org/collector/17968/
Chris
David Price

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aestate - in summer
oldnick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Chris the name on these labels is invariably written 'Noe'; is it possible to set up the menu so that entering this (without accent!) will find him? At present there are a number of Noe sheets on H@H but they cannot be accessed via the menu - even if one knows any of the likely first names people have suggested
David Price

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I. crithmoides, surely?
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Noe and variants Reply with quote

Dear Nick
Like you, I am just a 'volunteer', I cannot engineer the system. I thought that if you entered a new name in the collectors' field on the form, then the system accepts it and will then present it as an option - but perhaps not! Certainly with the Aber sheets, which were largely the work of students, it was necessary to add quite a lot of 'new' names.
regards
Chris
ps just found Tom's reply on collectors when a query came up before
"The system will accept (and add to the database) any name entered on the documentation form. That's necessary as there will continually be occurrences of new names.

Wherever possible the system will try to avoid duplicate records (combining name entries which appear to be the same - which itself can lead to problems).

Entries in the database are graded according to quality: 'good', 'dubious' or 'unrated'. Only entries marked as 'good' are shown on the drop down lists. Entries rated as 'good' haven't necessarily been researched and some will be duplicates or spelling-mistakes - the only criteria for rating a name is there is some evidence that the collector really exists.

Originally all names entered appeared immediately on the drop-down list but this caused problems becuase the displayed term-lists became full of large numbers of spelling mistakes and duplicate names. The problem with the current system is that many legitimate entries (e.g. Penfold) go unnoticed so don't get marked as accepted names. Whenever I'm made aware of these I mark the name - so for example Penfold is now on the list."

pps just edited Noe, and changed validity status - think he now pops up.
oldnick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Chris that is brilliant! Noe keeps cropping up, and it was beginning to haunt me.
I too wondered is it a spelling error for crithmoides - though the flowers look rather large - there is I find a species named erithmoides, but I couldn't find any detail (250 spp in genus) or distribution, so cannot say whether it couldn't be either. Croatia is a long way off though, and the sheet labels don't specify a maritime habitat.
I will edit in aestate (both sheets).
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This passage makes reference to The Quarnero and the passage here
http://herbariaunited.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4443
refers to the Littorale i.e. sea shore
best
Chris
oldnick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well as Fiume (Rijeka in Croat), Noe has labels with the place Òssero; which is presumably the small; maritime place (Osor in Croat ) on the island of Cherso (Cres in Croat ) off Fiume.
Chris Liffen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have added it as another example of his hand writing
Chris
http://herbariaunited.org/collector/17968/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: