help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Malus sylvestris (3394)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkopp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Malus sylvestris (3394) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #316128

Taxon:Rosaceae: Malus sylvestris (L.) Mill. ("Crab Apple")
Filed in taxon folder:Rosaceae: Malus sylvestris (L.) Mill. ("Crab Apple")
Collected by:William Robert Price
Collection date:1/8/1910
Locality:Great Britain, VC34 West Gloucestershire, Devil's Pulpit, ST59, "Single tree near path through wood below ??" "Pulpit Rock near ? side of path
ex herb:William Robert Price
Institution:Gloucester City Museum (GLR)
Image:Malus sylvestris herbarium specimen from Devil's Pulpit, VC34 West Gloucestershire in 1910 by William Robert Price.
fruits/flowers:no flowers

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by kkopp on 2nd March 2011.

Edit history

dateuserchange
02/03/2011kkoppDeleted locality: GB VC34 Pulpit, "Single tree near path through wood below ??" "Pulpit(?) near ? side of path [illegible]
02/03/2011kkoppAdded locality: GB VC34 Devil's Pulpit, "Single tree near path through wood below ??" "Pulpit Rock near ? side of path [illegible]

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

kkopp wrote
I can find no independent reference to a place called just "Pulpit" in Glos although this name was already in the dBase. There is reference to a Peter's Pulpit and a Devil's Pulpit, however.

Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's probably Devil's Pulpit. The other sheet collected the same day refers to Pulpit Rock, which appears to be synonymous with the Devil's Pulpit.

I've removed the spurious 'pulpit' from the drop-down list.

As far as I can find, Peter's Pulpit is in Gloucester, Massachusetts (unless I've overlooked something) so can probably be discounted Smile

http://wikimapia.org/15593438/Peters-Pulpit
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: