help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Ex herb vs specimen label

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kkopp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 am    Post subject: Ex herb vs specimen label Reply with quote

I feel squeamish asking this since I have done a lot of sheets without thinking about this, but it occurred to me that perhaps if there is no "ex herb" indication (other than SLBI) for instance, BUT a custom printed label shows the specimen was collected by a certain person (that is, the collector's name is machine printed on the label), is it a fair assumption that this specimen is de facto from their herbaria and therefore "ex herb" the collector? I have not presumed to indicate this on any specimen, of course, but suddenly got a little panicky thinking that perhaps I should have been doing so...

(From this note and my other questions it might be clear I am not a plant person per se but rather a geographical one, so please excuse the naivete....)

k
David Price

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the strict answer to your question must be "no".

Consider a specimen collected by A Ley which he either
(i) retains in his own herbarium; or
(ii) communicates to the BEC; or
(iii) gives to a friend.

In which alternative is the specimen properly described as 'ex herb A Ley'?
In "(i)" certainly, but the others?

I have also wondered about the 'det.' field. Should that not in most cases be 'conf.', e.g. where Phipps has had his say?
oldnick

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about 'confirmed' rather than 'original identification by'. In most of the edits I have seen, the latter has been entered wrongly, when the species name is clear on the original label - a pity, arguably devalues the original collector.
Complication comes if there is a name change resulting in two or more names when one is unfamiliar - as this is usually with the scarcer species however, it merits checking the name in Stace or CTW if to hand, which usually clarifies the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: