help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Surrey - White Hill, Godstone, Riddlesdown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldnick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Surrey - White Hill, Godstone, Riddlesdown Reply with quote

Several of W H Beeby's sheets are from 'White Hill, Surrey' - however in Surrey I have found 4 White Hills and a Whitehill. By looking for specimens collected same date, I hoped to localise Beeby's site, and so found 2 such, from Riddlesdown (N of Caterham) 12/5/1878, and Godstone (S of Caterham) 16/8/1885.
My tentative conclusion therefore is that White Hill is by the road / track on S edge of Caterham at TQ3253, leading past Arthur's Seat, near War Coppice Road which leads to Gravelly Hill
ps I now see that the date on the Riddlesdown specimen may read 11/5/1878 - unclear - but my conclusion is the same. Does anyone know where Beeby lived?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This info is taken from census returns

1851 Lived at Grove House, South Street, Greenwich West, Greenwich, Kent, age 1

1861 pupil at school Pulterey Lodge, Enfield Wash, Enfield, age 11

1871 boarder at 41 North End, Croydon, Surrey, age 21, banker’s clerk

1881 lodger at 15 Riding House Street, Marylebone, London, Middlesex, age 31, clerk

In 1893 according to the electoral register he lived at 14 Riding House Street, Marylebone East, London

1901 lived at Hildasay, Portsmouth Road, Thames Ditton, Surrey, age 51, bank clerk

1911 his widow was still living at Hildasay, Portsmouth Road, Thames Ditton, Surrey
David Price

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a White Hill, well-known to botanists, at Box Hill and another at Bagshot Heath but two gatherings from 16/8/1885 support your view that Beeby's White Hill (TQ3253) is near Arthur's Seat and close to the present M23/M25 interchange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: