help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

testing it out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samantha T

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: testing it out! Reply with quote

Hiya Tom,

Had a quick play with it today. I got a bit confused with the date entry. The guidelines appear to suggest dd/mm/yyyy but the computer says it is in error if you use for example 01/08/1892 - it doesnt seem to like the zeros infront of the dates.

Also i think all the ones i looked at did not have accession numbers but im not sure. Maybe a note to say that not all sheets will have accession numbers is required or better help identifying which number is an accession number if i did miss them?

I skipped the sheets without specimens on them.

Hope this helps - apologies if my comments are stupid in relation to having not read the guidelines throughly enough! Laughing

regards
Sam
Tom Humphrey
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

thanks for taking the time to try the site Smile. I've fixed the problem with the dates now (I thought I'd checked that sort of thing already Embarassed).

The online documentation is terribly limited at the moment - I'll add a note about accession numbers. Numbers are missing from most of the set of sheets currently online, in the future where possible we'll stamp sheets before photographing them.

There are a few sheets filed away mixed with the rest of the collection that just have clippings from Botanical Exchange Club bulletins without any related specimens. I'm not quite sure what to do about these, but for the purpose of herbaria@home it's fine to skip them or mark them as faulty. It would probably have been better not to have such sheets on the @home system.

It's really useful to get feedback. I tend to become blind to the faults with the system as I've used it a fair bit and know how it's all 'meant' to work, so miss a lot of the problems.

regards,

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Bugs and suggestions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: