help | home | search messages | profile

@home Message Board

Feedback request: Pimpinella major (15359)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Feedback request: Pimpinella major (15359) Reply with quote

This post was made automatically in response to a request for comment on the documentation form. There is more general info about such requests here.

Specimen #269398

Taxon:Apiaceae: Pimpinella major (L.) Huds. ("Greater Burnet-saxifrage")
named by John Francis Michael Cannon 11/1966
Filed in taxon folder:Apiaceae: Pimpinella major (L.) Huds. ("Greater Burnet-saxifrage")
Collection date:6/1888
Locality:Great Britain, VC38 Warwickshire, Berkswell, SP27
ex herb:Birmingham Natural History and Philosophical Society
Institution:University of Birmingham (BIRM)
Image:Pimpinella major herbarium specimen from Berkswell, VC38 Warwickshire in 1888.
fruits/flowers:mature flowers

Inferred details are marked.

Documented by hallucigenia following initial work by keith barnett on 30th December 2008.

Edit history

dateuserchange
10/10/2010hallucigeniaDeleted determination (orig): Pimpinella major
10/10/2010hallucigeniaAdded determination (orig): Pimpinella major on 11/1966
10/10/2010hallucigeniaDeleted note: Det. J F M Cannon 11/1966 no collector named
10/10/2010hallucigeniaAdded collector: Prof George Stephen West
10/10/2010hallucigeniaAdded determiner: John Francis Michael Cannon
11/10/2010hallucigeniaDeleted collector: Prof George Stephen West
11/10/2010hallucigeniaAdded collector: (Unnamed Collector)
16/12/2011chrisuDeleted collector: (Unnamed Collector)

N.B. reporting of the edit history is currently fairly unclear and misleading. Most edits made to specimens appear as a pair of 'add' and 'delete' entries, which may not be together in the list. There are also often 'minor' edits, which are made automatically (rather than due to user activity), for example to merge synonym names.

Log-in to edit this sheet.

User comments about this sheet

hallucigenia wrote
Collector; there are two other specimens from this date/site, one W West, one Bagnall these are the only named collectors of 20 specimens of those I have examined
c 10, all appear to have been written in the same hand and style. All specimens are for B.N.H.P.S. and/or G.S. West I think the hand is of G.S.West?

David Price

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this was collected by the 12 year old G S West and I don't think it is his handwriting. I suggest 'unnamed collector' and specimen labelled by 'unnamed curator'.
oldnick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handwriting of site & date does quite resemble West's, and though it is not the hand of a 12-year old, he may have mounted/curated these sheets later on; I have been tempted to speculate that West was the collector in such cases given the large number of Broadway & Berkswell specimens both in the Nat Hist Phil collection and his own (but were any collected when he was definitely too young!!?); what does Mossysal think?
http://herbariaunited.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4885
mossysal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once thought that these sheets were West's but I have come round to agree with Wonastow. I also think they are curator's labels. I still think that
George West was likely to be collecting at a very early age - but why in Warwicks? There are a great many similar sheets. I wonder whether David Antrobus might know? I will email him.
mossysal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further thoughts: there are 147 sheets on the database from Warwicks attributed to George West as collector, and browsing them I find many of them were from labels by the BIRM curator. I suggest that we have added to this possible misconception!
see http://herbariaunited.org/specimensearch/?taxon=&taxonid=&collector=Prof+G+S+West&colid=17109&role=col&from=&to=&search=search&Country=gbie&VC=VC38&place=&placeid=&Inst=all&search=search#searchlist

Another interesting sheet: http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/291857/?image which has the note "from George" in the same hand. If collected by GSW it wouldn't say that, would it - the implication that the hand is NOT his!

The earliest Warwicks sheet I can find attributed to him but not by us is http://herbariaunited.org/specimen/256529/ which was from an external database (BIRM) when he was 16. Maybe their curator was under the same misapprehension as us?
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was all very interesting, I am glad I brought it up, if it clears up a lot of sheets, all to the good.
And we will all be clearer on future sheets.
oldnick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all that, I will go and sign myself in somewhere far from the cares of the world
hallucigenia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought occurred we all agree [I think] that we are/were tempted towards G.S.West but age etc is against this, but would it have been likely that he collected when young and say remounted them when older before donating them thus all would look the same.
I know the above 'sameness' would apply to a curator too, and was West ever associated with Birmingham.
Will look at the above later.
Somewhat later, Yes of course he was!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    herbariaunited.org Forum Index -> Herbarium sheet discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: